Usually we associate both watermelon and cucumber with summer but I couldn't resist making this salsa for the family Super Bowl party that I am going to tomorrow. The sweetness of the watermelon combined with the coolness of the cucumber counteracts the heat of the jalapeno and the bite of the onion. Add it all together and you have a wonderful easy salsa that is not your run of the mill tomato-based mixture. My recipe is a combination of several others that I have "confiscated" over time. So be sure to check after the jump for the recipe.
Watermelon Cucumber Salsa
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 1 1/2 cups diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 of one medium size jalapeño, stemmed and seeded (or more if you like it spicier)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced (I used 2 small cloves)
- Juice of one lime
- Salt (to taste)
- Combine watermelon, cucumber, cilantro, onion, jalapeno, garlic and lime juice in a mixing bowl.
- Mix well and add salt to taste.
- Chill for at least 4 hours to allow the flavors to meld.
If you try this recipe, I would love to know your thoughts or any changes you made so please leave a comment below. Enjoy and see you soon.