So here we are with another pasta entry. Can you tell I love pasta? Anyways, this is my quick cheater's version of Tortellini alla Vodka. By cheater's version, I mean I use pre-made tortellini and jarred vodka sauce. I also add a few fresh veggies and a can of diced tomatoes to the mix and some of my own seasonings. The greatest thing about this dish is that I can have it on the table in around 30 minutes so it makes a great easy dinner and I don't have to spend all day in the kitchen. Give it a try sometime and let me know what you think.
Tortellini alla Vodka
- 1 Package Buitoni Tortellini (I used the family sized Three Cheese Tortellini)
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup plum tomato, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) jar mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used Hunts with garlic and oregano)
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning (add more to taste)
- 1 Jar Vodka Sauce (I used Classico but the choice is yours)
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook tortellini according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, add olive oil to a large sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add garlic, onion and pepper to the pan and saute until the pepper and onion softens.
- Add the tomatoes (fresh and canned), along with the mushrooms, and stir to combine.
- Add seasoning to taste. Bring to a boil. Once the liquid in the pan has reduced by half, turn the heat down to a simmer.
- Add the vodka sauce, stir well and heat through.
- Once the tortellini is cooked, using a slotted spoon (or spyder), add it to the sauce.
- Toss to coat and serve with fresh grated Parmesan cheese over the top.
Until next time, enjoy!!!!!!