Friday, February 14, 2014

Pork Chops with Apple Gravy

After asking my wife what she wanted for dinner and her reply was pork chops, the question was how to cook them? I didn't want fried or baked.  I wanted to try something new so I scoured the net to see what I could find.  I actually found several recipes using apple cider or apple juice with the pork.  After checking out several recipes, I decided that was the way I was going to go.  I used boneless center cut pork chops and combined them with a apple juice based gravy which produced a moist sweet chop.  I will definitely be making this again and thought that I would share the recipe with you.  Please feel free to adapt, tweak, twist, remake or revamp it to your personal taste but I would ask that you please leave a comment with what you changed and how it turned out.

After seasoning the chops with seasoning blend, brown on both sides until still just slightly pink in the middle, about 6-8 minutes. Then after I removed the chops, I got poured out most of the oil.  Then I added minced garlic and Worcestershire and de-glazed the pan.
Then I returned the pork to the pan and add my apple juice.  I brought the pan to a boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer and covered the pan to let the pork do it's thing.

25 minutes later, I removed the lid, placed the chops on a plate and cranked the heat up to high to bring the juices to a rolling boil.  Now I could have left it here and let the heat reduce this to a thick sauce but I was pressed for time, so I used a slurry to thicken things up quickly.  Once the gravy was thick, I returned the chops to the pan for a minute or two just to warm them up and coat them in the sauce. Then I served them up with some mashed potatoes that I whipped up and there you have it.  If you don't want mashed potatoes, maybe you could try these Garlic Smashed Potatoes from Chung-Ah's blog, Damn Delicious.  Whichever you choose, I hope you enjoy.

Pork Chops with Apple Gravy
Serves 2 (2 chops per person)

Ingredients
  • 4 Center cut pork chops (boneless)
  • 2 Tablespoons McCormick Garlic and Herb Seasoning Blend
  • 3 Tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
  • 2Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
  • 2 Cups apple juice
  • 2 Tablespoons corn starch
  • 2 Tablespoons water
Instructions
  1. Add the olive oil to a large pan over medium high heat.
  2. While the oil is coming to temperature, season the pork chops on both sides with the seasoning blend.
  3. Add to the pan and brown on both sides, about 6-8 minutes per side.
  4. Once the pork chops are browned and still slightly pink on the inside, remove them to a plate. Adjust the temperature to medium low.
  5. Drain all but maybe a teaspoon of the oil from the pan.  Add the garlic and saute until the garlic releases it's aroma (about 30 seconds).
  6. Add the Worcestershire and, using a wooden spoon, scrape all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.  
  7. Add the pork chops back to the pan and then add the apple juice.  Turn the heat up to high and bring to a boil.
  8. Once the pan is boiling, cover with a tight fitting lid and reduce the temperature to a simmer.
  9. Simmer for 25 minutes, uncover the pan and remove the chops to a plate.
  10. Return the sauce to a boil.  Combine the corn starch and water in a small bowl to create a slurry.
  11. Add the slurry to the boiling sauce and stir until thickened to desired consistency.
  12. Return the chops to the thickened gravy to warm them and coat with the sauce.
  13. Plate and serve with mashed potatoes on the side.  
So there you have it.  I hope you enjoy it and if you change it, I hope to hear you tweaks and comments.  

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment