Saturday, January 25, 2014

Chicken Rigatoni Fra Diavolo

I think Shakespeare said it best in Richard III when he said, "Now is the winter of our discontent" because it's freezing outside and I'm not feeling very content right now.  So in an effort to heat things up, I decided to spice things up in the kitchen.  I kicked around several ideas but ended up deciding on a dish I'm calling Chicken Rigatoni Fra Diavolo.  Originally I was going to use penne pasta but when I was at the store, I saw the rigatoni and couldn't resist it.  As far as the sauce, let's just say it's my take on a Fra Diavolo sauce. If it is not what you know as Fra Diavolo, arrest me already.
Since it is winter, I used canned diced tomatoes along with a can of Rotel tomatoes as the base of the sauce and then added the chicken.
I simmered the sauce for 30-45 minutes to allow the flavors to meld and permeate the chicken.When it was all said and done, I think it turned out rather well. 
Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of photos but then again, you don't want the pictures.  You just want the recipe.  So, here it is and I hope you enjoy. 

****************************

Chicken Rigatoni Fra Diavolo

Ingredients-
  • 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 6 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup white onion, finely diced
  • 3 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, (I used Hunts with basil, garlic and oregano)
  • 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilies
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 1/2 pounds diced cook chicken
  • 16 ounces Rigatoni pasta, uncooked
  • Shredded Parmesan cheese
Instructions-
  1. Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add the oil.
  2. Add the garlic and the onion and saute until the onion is softened.  Be careful not to allow the garlic to burn.
  3. In a large stockpot, bring 4 quarts of water to boil.
  4. Add the tomatoes, Rotel, red pepper flakes and cumin.  Stir well to combine while adjusting the heat to bring the mixture to a boil.
  5. Add the chicken and lower the heat to a simmer.
  6. Simmer for 30-45 minutes to allow the sauce to reduce and concentrate the flavors.
  7. While the chicken mixture is simmering, add the pasta to the boiling water and cook as indicated. Drain.
  8. Toss the finished pasta with the sauce and allow the flavors to meld for a couple of minutes.
  9. Serve with the cheese sprinkled over the top and enjoy.

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment